Friday 8 February 2013

Groundhol day

Recent research by RCI shows that 65% of Brits have returned to the same holiday destination on at least one further occasion. To me, that's a really high proportion of people who want to go back and do the same things they did before. However, I can see the logic behind this thinking if you consider the reasons people gave for their return to holiday paradise.

The reasons they gave were:
- 45% of those surveyed simply had a good time, so they went back to have the same holiday

- 29% said the holiday met all their criteria - why change?

- 27% didn't see a need to go elsewhere if they had already found somewhere they liked

- 14% liked familiarity

- 12% said they find it less stressful knowing exactly what to expect where they are going. After all, going on holiday can be quite sressful.

Apparently, 36% of respondents are now taking fewer holidays than normal. This one isn't a surprise bearing in mind the squeeze we are suffering at the moment.
The poll of 1,000 people taken in February 2012 seems to have discovered that Brits are quite comfortable in their holiday habits. Perhaps all they want is sun? After all, we've just had one of the warmest March months on record and as I write, the north of England is now covered in snow. It's quite unpredictable in the UK, so why not go to a great holiday destination with almost guaranteed sun?
I suppose the main surprise for me about people wanting to return to a holiday destination is because most of the time I spend discussing holidays with people, they manage to cram in the phrase "holiday from hell" into the first sentence. Whilst I'm not very keen on the phrase, it does often suit the descriptions I get from holiday makers who are (rightly) complaining about the state of the resort, or even worse, the illness they suffered when they were there.
Some of the really unlucky ones manage to have an accident whilst they're on holiday too, just to really add a bit of salt to the open holiday wound. I have to admit that some of the time, my advice to people is that "sorry I think it was just an accident". After all, there isn't always someone at fault, but more often than not there is a valid holiday compensation claim.
Getting back to the point, I can certainly understand why people opt for the security of returning to the same place, but for me; I think I would just get a bit bored.

For more information, visit our website at: www.accidents-abroad.com

No comments:

Post a Comment